Designed in 1957 by architect Rodolpho Ortenblad for his family, the house was renovated starting from the recovery of the elements that characterised the original build. The front ground block, where there was an extensive service program and opened onto a central courtyard of the same character, started housing the garage and a playroom open to an outside area. Redesigned by Felipe Hess architects, now it has a garden that connects to the TV room in the main block family zone through new wooden and glass doors that reproduce the original frame.
The social hall panels were restored and a “shrimp” door was incorporated, using the pre-existing wood to connect the TV room to the other rooms.
The living room includes two living areas, a dining room, a new fireplace with a connection to the new office, an old intimate room, which opens onto the back garden. The pergola with bench, an important architectural element of the house which is characteristic of Rodolpho Ortenblad’s projects, which had been removed and thanks to old photos it was possible to be rebuild.
Much of the additional materials over the years didn’t honour the original design so the studio lovingly restored the ceilings, wooden panels, frames painted in white and stone floors.
New bricks painted in white were incorporated into some sections of the facade where there was a beige lithoceramic that was deteriorating. Kitchen, laundry and bathrooms have been completely redone, but the materials and colours used refer to the original palette of the house, such as beige limestone and wood.
The house, which was awarded in the 1960s Sao Paulo Salon of Modern Art and published in the book “Residências em Sao Paulo 1947-1975” by Marlene Acayaba, after the renovation still maintains its modern characteristics, but adapted to the demands of a contemporary family.